Pages

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Putting the Curve in Crosshatching

During my lectures and workshops, I've had several people ask me how I accomplished curved crosshatching.  You can't imagine how very simple it really is.  Get ya an arched template and curve away.  Right?  Right!  So, to show you how easy peasy it is, I'm posting pictures of Linda's gorgeous Borders quilt where I did a curved crosshatch in the cream border, and showing you step-by-step how I did this.

Linda LaBrot's beautiful Borders Quilt.  Pattern is from Winnie Fleming's Borders Class
I first wanted to create arches throughout the cream border.  Using my favorite purple disappearing ink marker, I used an arch template to mark the double lines to create even arches through the border. 

I sewed these lines creating the arches.  You could easily make this step straight lines as well.  I like using double lines because it defines the arches.

Now it was time to mark the curved crosshatched lines.  Using that fabulous disappearing marker again and the same arch template, I marked the lines following the curve across the arch.  Then turned the arch template over and marked the other way.  Since the arched template I was using does not have any marked lines, I used a piece of painters tape on the template to mark the width of the crosshatches.  


Time to sew...Using the same arch template, I quilted the lines.  I retraced the original arches and the stitch in the ditch at the bottom so I would not have so many starts and stops within such a small space.  

And so I put the curve into crosshatching.  It really is Easy Peasy!

And for your enjoyment, the rest of Linda's stunning Border Quilt.  I had a hard time letting this one go back to her.  I wanted to keep it.






22 comments:

  1. OMG that is amazing. Super clever using the bargello as a feather spine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello again, I have been reading through your blog, you've put up some amazing posts. Very informative. I am excited to see you are an Innova owner. I have a 20 inch Innova. Love that machine. I took a giant leap of faith and imported one direct. No agent here in New Zealand. I am very happy with my choice but sometimes feel a little far away from the Innova community.
    Kind Regards from Down Under
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is there any way to get a patten for this quilt?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just saw a picture of the quilt above on pinterest. Such a beautiful job of quilting. Thank you for the tutorial

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too! On Facebook "Free Motion Quilting" - I thought it was way too similar to be a copy- looks like exactly the same photo. She did post a link to here so maybe she's saying she's inspired. . . . I do love your quilting which is what drew me to look closer.

      Delete
  5. Love this quilt, is there are pattern for this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually this quilt comes from the customer taking a class from Winnie Fleming who teaches in the Houston area. She teaches how to piece borders and then fit them onto the quilt. It's a great class. So as they go along, each student creates their own centers and border which means that each quilt is always different. I've quilted several border quilts from people taking her class and they are all completely different quilts. I'm sorry to say there is not a pattern.

      Delete
  6. Very beautiful quilting. You're my inspiration. What did you use for batting? Seems there is a slight puff. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I believe I just used Hobbs 80/20 for this quilt. On many of the show quilts I do I will double batt with a 100% washable wool on top of a 100$ cotton. But this one is only one batting.

      Delete
  7. Concerned someone is passing this work off as theirs in Quilters Classified. The pictures are identical.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I'll go take a look. How in the world could someone feel good about doing something like that?

      Delete
    2. I believe they removed the post afterI reported it to the admin.

      Delete
    3. Thank you so much Sherry. I am not in that group on facebook so I was trying to get authorized by the admin to try to see the post. What was the person selling? I really appreciate you having my back. My friend Linda LaBrot is the person who designed and pieced this quilt. There should not be another one like it anywhere. I had someone else say they saw a post on another site but I couldn't find it anywhere. Again....thank you.

      Delete
  8. Also your work is beautiful. I will keep the link for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. She wasn't selling it. She was basically showing her handiwork. When I posted asking if she made it, she posted a link to your picture (I think from Pinterest) saying this was her inspiration and challenge. I screen shot both pics and they were identical. I then clicked to report to admin. After that I couldn't find any of the comments in my notifications screen or the post again. Another woman followed my lead and asked if she made it too. Name on post was Isabel. I can't remember the last name. I would not want my work too be stolen even if it were only intellectually.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m just beginning to learn how to fmq. Thank you for the breakdown of how you designed your quilting. It made me feel more confident at choosing how to quilt the quilt I am doing currently.

    ReplyDelete